20.9.06

I'm afraid that...

Father: I'm afraid that my son isn't doing as well as she should be. What are your thoughts on the matter Mr. er, Jenkins?

Teacher: I agree with you entirely. I have been concerned about his progress for some time.

Father: Oh, well I am glad. Maths is one of the core subjects. What do you intend to do about it?

Teacher: Well, here at St. Eggberts we beleive in working closely with parents to help students achieve as much as they can.

Father: What do you mean?

Teacher: Sanctioning is a bit of an issue with boys of your son's age. Minor sanctions such as lines or forfeits tend to be shrugged-off and more srtict sanctions such as detentions and putting students on report tends o create bad air between staff and students. The ultimate sanctions of suspension and exclusion from school hardly seem to be the way forward for students who are not working.

Father: Hang-on, are you saying that he is not working?

Teacher: I sent a letter to you stating that such weas the case. Am I to assume that the signature on it was not yours?

Father: Why, yes.

Teacher: You see the nature of the problem? Though your son is a remarkably bright child, he rarely completes his assignments and often completes work for other classes in this one. His failure to shine is as a result of his failure to work. An old-fashioned elbow grease issue. However, if I can count upon your support...

Father: Of course, absolutely!

Teacher: ... there is a way forward. The first area where we can work together is dicipline. If i issue a sanction here and it is mirrored at home, it is twice as effective.

Father: Contact myself or the boy's mother any time at all.

Teacher: Excellent. Thank you. The second issue is concerning his work at home. I would like to ask you to supervise his homework.

Father: Absolutely impossible, I am far too busy for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home